Friday, June 5, 2009

Raisin' Sam



Don and I and Sam are all settling into life at home.  Here are a few things we've been up to and a few of Sam's firsts.
  1. May 17 - My mom came and stayed with us for a week and helped us immensely by making meals, cleaning, shopping, taking care of Sam so I could nap, and encouraging me as I tried to get the hang of breastfeeding and all the other joys/stresses of motherhood.
  2. May 21 - Sam had his first bath at home.
  1. May 21 - Don went on a run and saw these goats fenced off near a bunch of office buildings along the Boulder Creek that runs behind our apartment. I guess the university brings the goats in every year to mow down the grass naturally to prevent fires rather than bringing in a mower.  Yes, it is very Boulder environmentalist, but I thought it was pretty cool!  It was fun to see the goats and watch the kids that were gamboling about and climbing the trees. They were sliding down the tree trunk like it was a slide in a playground. They were really cute.
  2. May 23 - Sam had his first play date with his best friend, Ryan.  Our wonderful friends, Brandon and Kelly, who live in Smiley Court near us, had their baby, Ryan, 4 days before Sam was born.  Ryan and Sam had a great time staring at each other.  Kelly and I have been having lots of fun sharing in all the newness of motherhood together.
  3. May 25 - Don ran the Bolder Boulder 10k despite not having had a good night's sleep in a week and a half. He had been training like mad for the race and he had a great race.  He nearly reached his goal by finishing the race in 42 minutes. 
  4. May 29 - Sam had his second doctor's appointment and weighed in at 7 lbs. 10 oz (12 oz more than he weighed at birth).  The doctor was impressed with his weight gain and said he was looking great but was still a little jaundiced.  His jaundice is breastmilk induced meaning there is something in my breastmilk his liver can't break down. The doctor said it wasn't problematic at all and would go away when he was 4-6 weeks old.  Also, his first newborn blood screening came back normal, so he is a healthy little guy!
  5. May 29 - We took Sam on his first walk along Boulder Creek. I am looking forward to being able to run along the path again soon and take Sam in the sweet jogging stroller we bought with our REI dividend.
    May 30 - Don did a "friendly" triathlon with 3 other guys from church.  He got up at 6 am to get the Louisville recreation center to start the swim, then they biked and ran on route they had decided on.  I was completely exhausted the night before the triathlon so I wasn't able to wake up enough to do anything more than feed Sam, so Don only got 4 1/2 hours of sleep and still went and did the race. I felt bad I wasn't able to get up and so Don could get more sleep and have a better race, but he still had a great time and is looking forward to the next one. I was teasing Don that the only time he has been able to get up before 10 am have been the mornings of the Bolder Boulder and the triathlon, not to get to school and work on his research even though every night he tells me, "I have to get into school early tomorrow!" It is definitely easier to get up to do something you love as much as Don loves running/biking/swimming. 
  6. May 31 - We went on a picnic to Chautauqua which quickly got rained out so we ate our sandwiches in the car and drove up to the top of Flagstaff mountain.  Then, we went back to Chautauqua and hiked up the trail a little and took some pictures. 
  7. June 3 - Don's sister Christine came into town to help us!  I am so glad she is here!  It is nice to have the company and the help.  She will be here 'til the 18th.  Don's mom will come on the 12th, which will be fabulous! 

13 comments:

Updike Update said...

i'm so glad that everything is going well. man, oh man, i wish i didn't have to wait 2 months to meet the little guy.

KMDuff said...

Wow, he's so cute! Love all the 1sts. :) Glad you have some help too, its so nice. Keep enjoying your babymoon, they grow up way too fast.

Raspberry said...

Yay - I'm glad all is going well. Just remember I'm very nearby!
:)

2MyGirls said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your new little guy. He is so cute--I love the pictures!

Lo said...

Picturesque! Love the pics! You guys are adorable. I am so glad Sam is doing well. Let's talk soon - I'll keep calling but if its a bad time (sleeping, cleaning poops, nursing, etc . . . ) don't feel obligated to pick up. I'd love to catch up with you though! You guys look great.
Love Lo

Anna White said...

That's so interesting about the breastmilk jaundice, because I had the same thing with Joshua. I had never even heard of it until then. It must be more common...you guys are adorable!

Mike and Jana Black said...

He's so cute I wish I could come and hold him!

Rachel Murray said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun. Emily, you look AMAZING for just having a baby weeks ago. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to read your update! Cute family!!!!

Cher said...

awww...Sam is adorable, Emily!! YAY! I'm so glad all is well!

mer and mel said...

Emily- He is so stinkin cute!! Congrats- you look great! My 2nd baby had breastmilk induced jaundice as well, but he had to be under the lights for a week and a half! I'm so glad you don't have to go through that. I hope you are feeling well and recovering!
-Melanie Nichols Shaw

sara said...

Ack! I just found your blog from Mary's and I'm so excited for you guys! He looks adorable! Just like me!
It sounds like you guys have a lot going on! I'm so happy for you both!

Chris said...

CONGRATS EM! I found your blog via a friend's, friend's blog. Having a baby is life changing. I know you heard it before... and now you understand. I'm sure you're a great mom! Congrats to Don too! Way to go on his test!