My great friend and fellow Resident Manager, Jana, had a really rough last few weeks of her pregnancy. She eventually had to have an emergency c-section at 37 weeks. Don and I stayed overnight with her two little ones (ages 5 and 3) that night so Jana's husband, Phillip, could be at the hospital with her.
Before Phillip went to the hospital, I asked if he told the kids he would be at the hospital and that I would be there in the morning. He said he had forgotten to tell them. I was really worried that they would wake up in the night and be completely freaked out when they saw me instead of their daddy.
Sam was going through a really tough time with his sleep habits (still is, actually) and was waking up every two hours and was very fussy. The area between the bedrooms in our little family housing apartments is linoleum so sound travels really easily. I was up most of the night trying to keep Sam quiet so the kids wouldn't wake up.
At 5:00 am, Sam woke up for the umpteenth time and I fed him. At 5:20 am, the little 5 year old girl came into the bedroom. When I woke up enough to realize she was in the room, she walked over to me and said, "Emily, are you sleeping with daddy?" She said this very matter-of-factly, as if that was how things worked when mommy was gone. Mommy was at the hospital so Emily was just filling in, helping out, you know, sleeping with daddy...!
I quickly reassured her that her daddy was at the hospital and that was Don sleeping next to me. She was fine with that and then the three year old little boy came out of his room and insisted that we play a game. We had a nice, very early morning together.
I think everyone in our complex has heard that story by now. The things kids say!
3 comments:
Just wait until Sam is 5! He'll come up with some doozies, I'm sure!
Hilarious! Thanks for the funny story!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Post a Comment