Friday, September 24, 2010

CU Family Housing Welcome Back BBQ

On August 14, I was in charge of an enormous event for Family Housing here at CU Boulder (part of my job as the FH Program Coordinator). The event was a "Welcome Back BBQ" which usually has between 500-800 people in attendance. I had been working hard all summer to get everything organized and planned effectively.


I brought in 16 different campus and community resources who hosted information tables. I also got a DJ, the CUPD and McGruff the Crime Dog, and the Boulder City Fire Department to come with a fire truck and a fire fighter in full gear. The fire fighters helped the kids spray water and they absolutely loved it. We had over 600 people in attendance, which is what we were expecting since it was held a week earlier than usual this year. Luckily, it was catered and we had plenty of food, so the Resident Managers weren't flipping burgers (that was how it was done in the past). The DJ had the little kids do the chicken dance and the hokey pokey and it was just a good time all around.


Also, I worked with catering to make this event zero waste, which I was really excited about. All the utensils, plates, cups, etc. were compostable. Isn't Boulder great?


I got Red Robin donated 100 balloons, which really made the event feel festive. I am a big fan of balloons for outdoor events.


It was a huge success and I was so thrilled when it was over. Several people said it was the best BBQ they'd been to the entire time they've lived in FH, which made me really happy. I'd really put my heart and soul into this one. Here are some pictures so you can see what a crazily huge event it was. 



Jenny sitting at the table with the Family Housing Activities poster she and I slaved over. It was our attempt to advertise our fabulous programs that we hold (like the music class I teach for kids). 


Setting up the food tents and tying balloons around.


Setting up the info tables and tables for eating.


The kids loved climbing around the CUPD squad car and meeting McGruff.


My boss, Clancy, and friend Sarah checking residents in.


People picnicking with the info tables in the background.


People eating at the tables. I loved all the balloons on the back of the chairs.


Marisa and Em eating ice cream and telling people where to put their trash (not the most glamorous job, but these ladies were stalwart).


 All the info tables. I worked so hard to get these people here and for the most part, they were happy with how many people came around and talked with them and picked up info.


Residents dishing up.



Doing the chicken dance. I love Marisa here. She looks like she's at a full sprint but she's really just dosido-ing.


The kids loved the fire fighters who let them spray the water.





A view of the event when it was in full swing.


After the event, the RMs and Clancy went to Coldstone to celebrate. Hurray for being done! Next year will be so much easier now that I have this one under my belt!

No comments: