Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sam's 2nd Birthday Party

The day of Sam's birthday party (Saturday, May 21st) dawned sunny, much to my relief. For days and days, all it had done was rain (much to my chagrin, since we were car-less). It was really windy, though, but we were happy despite.

We had Sammy's party at a small park called Keewaydin Meadows Park which is a few miles away from our house. This park is behind a middle school which I see frequently. It is across the parking lot from my "home" tennis courts for what I fondly call "my old ladies' tennis league". Really it is a USTA league and I happened to get on the best team ever, which primarily consists of ladies at least twice my age up to 85. Pat is 85 and she will dominate you. If you get the ball anywhere in her wheelhouse, she'll shut you down. I love these ladies and have treasured being able to play with and get to know them.

Anyway, back to Sammy's party. We hauled all the quiches I made and the basketball cake (from scratch - but I forgot to add the eggs and it didn't rise like it should have) and all the other fruits, veggies,  ginger cookies, etc.  to the table and then the festivities began.

Sam had 10 friends there and we had a lot of our other good friends show up too. Sammy felt loved and the kids and parents loved the park so it was a huge success. The kids also loved the slinkies I gave them as a party favor. Sam is still playing with his. 

It was a great birthday celebration. We are so lucky to have sweet Sammy in our family!



Playing on the cool teeter toter with Josh.


Laurie-Anne and baby William by the very windblown decorations and food table.


Fun on the slide.

\

Maria and Adelaide (with her baby, of course!)


Zach and Cam eating the quiche. It turned out so well! I was so relieved. I worked on them all day - for 5 hours anyway. Homemade crust is tasty but seriously time consuming. Maybe next time I'll skip that step...


Hunter and Nina - the daredevil kids trying out the rock wall and spinner. I love that Hunter is hanging on for dear life here. 



A couple candids of Mom and Dad with the birthday boy



The cake... It was moist and tasty despite the lack of eggs.


Henry and his goggles make me laugh


Singing makes for great faces.


Trying to light the candle in the wind...not so successful.





Friends from Family Housing.


Sam with Grandpy and Grammy. Don's dad had surgery two days before to remove a cyst from his foot but despite that, they still drove up from Co. Springs to be with us for the party. They are awesome.


This picture of Henry running around the twirling chair with his cake and goggles made me so happy I had to put it in.


Grandpy and Grammy swinging...


The banner Don's dad is holding shows how windy it really was. 


The kids loved the teeter totter. 


I told Hunter and Nina to smile and this is what I got. Kids are so funny!


A train wreck at the bottom of the slide. What fun!


Swinging with daddy.


Cam and Liesel spinning face down on the chairs. I love this picture.


Sam with his loot.


What a lucky boy to have so many people who love him!

2 comments:

Lo said...

Oh Emily, I LOVE these pics! I MISS YOU!!! Little Sam is SO cute! I am so glad the weather was good for the big day. Happy 2nd Birthday to the little guy! We need to talk soon! Miss you, girl!
Lo

Christine Lake said...

I loved that picture of my Dad swinging, and Don just holding Sammy out in the air. So funny. I'm glad he had a happy birthday!! It was so fun seeing you guys last week!