Friday, September 16, 2011

Conkey Family Reunion

Earlier in the summer, we thought that the possibility of getting all of Don's sisters out to visit at once was unlikely Then, April decided to come visit and we suddenly all decided to make the get together happen.

Don and I went down to the Springs after church on July 3rd (I taught the YW lesson so we couldn't leave 'til I was done). We had a very low key 4th. April and I went for a jog, Don went for a jog, and then we just hung out. I made a blueberry/strawberry crumble which we ate with Bluebell ice cream (April's favorite thing about Texas). Then, we put the babies to bed and played games.

We had to get back to Boulder because I had a meeting for work at 8:30 am so we left at 6:30 am on Tuesday morning. It was an early start and Sam threw up in the car on the way home. He hadn't thrown up for nearly a year and we were hoping he was over his carsickness, but we were wrong. Unfortunately, we were cutting it really close when we got back to Boulder so I just changed the poor kid's shirt and dragged him off to my meeting with me. He was really good despite not feeling well. He is such a good and very patient boy.

We went back down to Colorado Springs on Thursday afternoon. Wendi and Christine came into town on Tuesday and we were so bummed to be stuck at home in Boulder while they were here but I had to teach my music class and was in charge of teaching the YW to make homemade wheat bread on Wednesday. Cami taught the girls to make freezer jam and then she gave me all the extra strawberries so I made a bunch of little jars for myself. Yum!

It was so exciting to meet Arvo, Wendi and Ben's baby, for the first time. He is such a chunk! He and Garnet (Christine's baby) couldn't be more different in their proportioning. She is tiny and petite and he is big, tall, and built like a tank. They are both such happy babies and are wonderful sleepers. I'm hoping those Conkey genes will come through with my next baby and I'll get a sleeper, too. I'm definitely due after the crazy up in the night antics of Mr. Sam.

We had fun hanging out together and on Saturday morning, April, Brian, Wendi, Christine, Don, and I ran a 5k. It was a beautiful morning and the race was small but fun. The course did a couple loops around a small lake and through a park. 

I ran as fast as I could and actually surprised myself. I ended up running 7:51 second/miles - finishing at 23:25. I really never thought I'd run a 5k that fast. Don got 4th place and ran about 6 minute miles. I can't remember what his final time was. He is so fast! I watched him across the lake as he cruised around. It was fun being able to see him throughout the race. I'm always just been so far behind him that I've never been able to watch him race while I'm racing.

The kids swam in the kiddie pool and we took turns making dinner. Don and I made homemade pizza dough and everyone made their own pizzas. We also made a yummy salad with lettuce from our garden and CSA, strawberries, walnuts, blue cheese, and avocado. We played "Ticket to Ride" (which is now Don's dad's favorite game) and the kids finger painted. We also played with sidewalk chalk. 

Don was flying to Toronto on Sunday to present his research at a conference so he was prepared to travel straight to the airport and fly to Toronto. Unfortunately, though, he forgot his passport (I didn't think about it either - Canada just doesn't seem far enough away to warrant a passport - no overseas flight, no language barrier...). So, he had to drive home on Saturday night and then drove to the airport Sunday morning. He was so bummed to miss the family reunion and I was so sad he had to go. 

We were excited for him to present at this conference, though, because we thought he would finally meet the flaky researcher from Switzerland that Don was supposed to research with this fall. He was supposed to present directly after Don in the same room, even, so we were hoping he could talk to him and get things sorted for a January trip. Once again, the man flaked out and sent a student instead so Don still hasn't met the man. Too bad, but I guess it is maybe a blessing in disguise. I don't think working with someone who is completely unavailable would be a very good experience.

I stayed in Colorado Springs a couple more days ('til Tuesday) and then had to get back to finish preparations for my second big event of the summer - the Family Housing Camp Out - that was coming up that weekend (July 15-16). I wish I could have stayed longer but I needed to get things finished up.

Don had taken his parents car to the airport so that I could get home. I drove Don's mom and Josh (Christine's husband) to the airport to pick up her car and to drop Josh off for his flight home to Vernal. We drove through a wild rain storm and I could hardly see the road. It was really scary and since I'm already a timid driver, I was white-knuckled and on edge the whole time. I was so happy when I finally got out of the storm and was really worn out when I got home. Luckily, Sammy was super on that car ride. I would have probably had a nervous break down had he been fussy.

The following week, I came down for a few days without Don just so I could hang out with April, Isaac, and Grant, and Don's mom. Don's dad went on a business trip, so it was just the girls. We just hung out and ate good food and took it easy.

It was such a relaxing, fun time. I love my Conkey family and I was happy that I got to spend so much time with them. I'm so blessed to have married into a group of such easy going, kind, and like minded people. 


Don helped his dad work on the house. They both really enjoy working together so I'm so glad that we live close.


Grant and April in the hammock out in the forest behind the house.



I love this picture of April and Isaac playing peekaboo through the hammock.


Cute Isaac.




It was chilly in the basement and we didn't bring very warm jammies for Sammy. Luckily, Don's dad recently washed two of his wool sweaters and they shrunk so much that Sammy and Isaac were able to wear them to bed. Funny.



Ben slaved over this gorgeous and delicious dessert for hours. It was a creme brulee filled baked pear with raspberry coulee. It was amazing.

I forgot to mention that this was the day (Thursday - July 7th) that Don rode with our friend Nick for his Anticycle ride. I had dropped Don off in Parker and he rode with Nick for several hours 'til they reached Colorado Springs. Don's dad rescued Nick and Don since it took them so long to bike (Nick's bike weighed well over 100 pounds with all his gear), it was cold and rainy, and it was getting dark. I'm really glad Don was with Nick or he would have been biking in the dark and cold conditions for a really long time. Don had also ridden with Nick for several hours earlier in the day so when he got to the house, he was cold and hungry. He was the lucky one who got two pears. I'm still jealous.


Yum!


And here are Don and I after the race.


They had some massage therapist students giving free massages. You better believe we got in on that action. Awesome! A massage after a 5k! I felt so spoiled!


And here are the runners - Christine, Wendi, Don, me, April, and Brian.


Sam and Isaac had twinner jammies. I love Sam's face in this picture. 


Don with little baby Garnet. She is so sweet and such a feather weight!



A sweet picture I took of Mr. Grant.



Coloring time with Aunt GiGi (what Isaac started calling Christine and it's stuck). 


I love this series of pictures of Sam's focus face for coloring.



He sticks his tongue out like I do!


Sam loved the pool on the deck. He kept throwing the balls off the deck and Don or his dad would throw them back. He thought that was hilarious. He also would jump and land on his bottom to make the biggest splash possible - over and over and over.


Jump! 


Splash!



I felt kind of bad for Grant. Sammy kept soaking him with the jumping but he didn't seem to mind too much. He's used to having an older brother, I guess. 



All the Conkey grandbabies in one pool - Arvo, Grant, Garnet, Sammy, and Isaac.


This is the face Sam made when I told him he had to get out of the water (there was a lightning storm). 


Cherries help make things better.


When I was trying to get Sammy dressed, he ran out and did a little skinny dipping. 


April making the pasta salad. 


Christine making potato salad.



Finger painting! 



Making another blueberry strawberry crumble - the first was so good I got requests for another...


Wagon rides with Grampy!



Sam just relaxin' in the corner.


The Conkey Clan.


Conkey kids with kids!




Sammy playing in the tall grass.


Sidewalk chalk!



Wendi whipping out a little artistic name creation.



Sam's shorts kept falling off. I eventually started tying the belt loops together with kitchen twine to hold them up. He's so skinny but so tall - tough to find clothes that fit.


Wendi and Chris with baby Arvo and baby Garnet. Look at that size difference! Arvo is only a month older. His head is twice the size!

No comments: