Tuesday, September 6, 2011

An Undefeated Tennis Season

I have mentioned before how much I love my tennis league. I had such a great time playing this year and if it hadn't been for Mary, who was my captain last year, I wouldn't have played again.

For Christmas in 2009, Don gave me the "opportunity to play other people" since he had never been able to beat me and I wasn't really playing anymore and wanted to get back into it. So, he signed me up for the USTA and told me I was going to play in the Spring league and he would watch Sammy while I played once a week. I know, I know, I have a very sweet, thoughtful husband. What a great gift!

Tennis is kind of a cliquey activity, particularly in Boulder where there are so many wealthy people. I hadn't realized that I had missed the sign up for the league so I had to call captain after captain of various teams and try to convince them to take me on. Time and time again, they told me they had a full team and didn't have room for me.

I finally found Mary (probably the 5th captain I'd called) and after I'd tried to make my case (I'm fit, I'm pretty good, I'm really nice!) she said I could be on her team.

Because the team had a lot of people, I only got to play 5 matches last year. Joining the league and all the league fees ended up being about $100. I didn't think it was worth the money for how much I got to play so I decided that I wouldn't play this year.

Mary called me before the season started and asked if I was going to play. I said no, that it was too expensive and that it had been a gift and I couldn't afford it, particularly for how little I'd played last year. She then told me that she'd thought I'd say that and that she'd raised a fund to cover the cost so that I could play on her team. She also told me she'd scheduled me to play every match of the season.

I love Mary and she is such a good, loving person. I was so touched that she did this for me. She is so selfless and she did so many things throughout the season to help me out (brought me my match balls when our car got killed by the squirrel, offered me rides, etc.)

I went undefeated throughout the regular Adult League and last night (8.29.11), I played my last Twilight League match. It was the hardest match I played this season, but I won and our team won our district so we're going on to the regional tournament on Sept. 23-24. I'm still undefeated which means I will probably move on to a 4.0 rating (I'm currently a 3.5) next year. I'm really excited that I did well in my league play but sad that I won't be able to be on Mary's team next year. If it hadn't been for her, I wouldn't have played this year and had the success that I did.

Thank you for everything, Mary! You are so wonderful!


Me, Mary, and Debbie (another team member)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock! Way to go on the undefeated season!

Sarah said...

Congrats, Em!! That's awesome--all of it!

XO
Sarah

Dan and LaVon said...

wow you can do EVERYTHING! Way to go AWESOME!!!

Naazju said...

Congratulations on a great season! Your husband is awesome and so is Mary. Good luck at regionals!