Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Daddy's Shoes, Snow, Strep, and Goodbyes

Sam has a thing for shoes. Not so much for wearing his own but more for wearing or organizing his daddy's. One afternoon, Sam put on daddy's shoes (on the wrong feet, of course) and headed out for a walk. 



When what to his wondering eyes appeared...


...daddy himself! Hurray!

I got really sick in late September with a really high fever (104 degrees) and horrible sore throat. It only lasted the weekend and then I was better.

In late October, though, I suddenly came down with a horrible sore throat and a slight fever on a Thursday morning (same thing that had happened a month earlier). On Friday, my fever was picking up and I thought about going to the doctor but decided that I would be fine since I had been the previous time. By Friday night, both Sam and I were miserable. Don managed again to stay healthy, thank goodness. I had a high fever (up to 104.5) all day Saturday and by the time I realized I was so ill I was willing to pay $75 to go to urgent care, the urgent care had closed. I took tylenol and shook under the covers until Sunday. My fever was so high, I felt like I was floating. It was really strange.

We went to the urgent care Sunday morning and found out I had strep and Sammy had an ear infection and probably strep as well. I cannot remember being so sick. I couldn't do anything but lie on the couch or in bed and shiver. By Monday, I was still so sick, I couldn't function enough to take care of Sam so Don stayed home and took care of us both. I had several friends bring me meals and 3 days later, the fever was gone. I had a fever every night between 102-104 for 6 days! It took so long for the antibiotics to get the infection under control because I'd had it for over a month. I kept wondering why I was so tired all month! 


The only good thing about our strep situation; lots of good snuggle time.

Our first snowstorm of the year brought down branches everywhere and made for awesome snow play.


Sam does not like sledding. He hates it, actually, but he always says he wants to go. He also always wants to build an igloo and make a snowman. Unfortunately, we haven't had any snow wet enough for that this year. We'll get some in the Spring, I'm sure.













This is Sammy's first snowman. We built it together and Sammy wanted to show daddy when he got home from work.

We went sledding at Scott Carpenter Park (the rocket ship park - right across the street from us) with the Jacksons and the Cullises.


Adam and William had so much fun with their daddy.


Cute Nina! Man, I miss that little smile!


The Cullises. This was our last big hurrah with them before they moved back to South Africa. We miss them so much! Hopefully our next big trip will be to visit them in Capetown.


Sam only went down the hill with me once. He hated it but he liked watching everyone else.






We had one last dinner with the Cullises before they left. Staci made her delicious mac and cheese (which Sammy made a song up about - he loves it that much) and we all hung out one last time.




Sammy and Fynn. Two little like-minded kiddos. 


All the kids. William is showing off his South African flag sticker that Nina brought him.




We love you, Cullises! Scott's face cracks me up in this picture.

No comments: