Monday, May 11, 2009

First Trip to the Hospital

On Friday, I went to the doctor's for my regular appointment. Since I was 37 weeks, getting checked was optional, but I'd been having some achy/crampy contractions in the night, so I decided that I wanted to know if I was dilated at all. It turns out that I was dilated 3 cm. and 75% effaced and the doctor told me I could have the baby that day... or in 3 weeks, but that my body was getting ready, so I better prepare myself. Later that day, I lost my mucus plug.

I was pretty shocked. I had just decided that I was going to have the baby late (like most first time moms) and was prepared for that.  I really wasn't ready to hear that I could actually have the baby NOW, particularly because I have training all week for my new job and Don has his huge prelim exam on Saturday that will determine whether he can stay in the program or not.  I really cannot have this baby 'til after he takes that test!  

So, I had a bunch of achy/cramp-like contractions over the weekend (particularly during the middle of the night) and was getting more concerned that the little guy was on his way.

I woke up this morning and felt fine (despite having a bunch of contractions in the night), so I got ready to go to training for my new Resident Manager job. I went to training at 9 am, and about 10 am, I felt some serious pelvic pressure and got a little concerned.  I called Don and told him about it, then called the doctor's office.  When I told the nurse that I felt a lot of pressure and like I had to keep my legs together so the baby wouldn't drop out, she told me to come in right away.  I left training, picked Don up, and went to the doctor's office (which is at the hospital).

When I got to the office, the nurse told me the doctor was in labor and delivery, so I should just go over there.  It ended up that I got fully checked in to a room and the nurse hooked me up and did fetal monitoring for about 2 hours.  When she checked me, she said that while I was still only dilated to a 3 and 70 or 75% effaced, the little guy had dropped down to a +1 and that was why I felt all the pressure.  I had a few painless contractions while we were there, and it was interesting to watch the monitoring system track my muscle tension and show the peaks when I had contractions. 

The nurse told me she really doubted this little guy would stay put until Saturday, so now we are waiting on pins and needles for full blown labor to start.  Don just really wants him to come before Saturday so he won't be worrying throughout his entire 6 hour test that I could go into labor.  I am worried about missing my training, but there isn't much I can do about this.  The little guy has a mind of his own and will make his grand entrance whenever he decides he's ready.  It is nerve-racking, but very exciting!

9 comments:

The Kynastons said...

Ahh! So exciting! I'm really jealous that you're going to have him early...that is my biggest wish, but I'm preparing myself to go a week over since that's what ALL of my sisters did with their firsts. Good luck with everything and I can't wait to see pictures when he comes!

Olivia said...

My doctor/nurses told me the same thing at my check-ups. I was a 3 and 75% effaced for a couple of weeks with both my girls, so you never know. I also lost my plug a couple of weeks before they actually came too. The good thing is, as soon as he does come your body will be totally ready. Since I was dilated for so long with both pregnancies, I had some pretty easy deliveries. I hope it is the same for you. Good luck with everything!!!

maegan said...

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you and Olivia. Elyette was really low for like a month (with a squished nose to prove it). Had contraction and was at a 3 with Jack for weeks before I got tired of it and took the Dr. offer to induce :). Also, like Olivia I think it made for easier (not that I'd say easy ;)) and speedy deliveries. Still stinks though that all this prep work could still mean NOW or in WEEKS. Those are not good odds.

I'm so excited for you though!!! And I hope it is smooth and speedy! GOOD LUCK.

KMDuff said...

Hope you have a wonderful delivery experience and a healthy baby!

I remember being worried my oldest would drop out and he took 2 hours to push out, so I don't think that is likely to happen. But I understand the feeling! Could be a while longer, could be this week...People walk around dilated to a 5 for weeks sometimes! :D

Amanda said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you! Waiting for the baby to come is exciting/frustrating because you have no control over when it'll happen. Good luck with everything! I'll be looking for pictures soon!

The Dixon Family said...

Woo Hoo! We can't wait to get the phone call/text/message WHATEVER!

Yesssss!

The Johnsons said...

Geez, the people that want their babies early don't get them early (like me). And then there is you that doesn't want them early and is going to get it. :) NOT FAIR!!!! But congrats!!!!!! Keep us posted.

Lo said...

Wow!!! Em!! That is crazy! I can't wait to get a phone call from you Em! I'll be thinking about you (praying for my arrow) until then!!!

David & Karalee Larson said...

Good luck. This is what I call the ticking time bomb period of the pregnancy!