Sunday, January 9, 2011

Don's Birthday/Ski Day at Copper Mountain

On Don's birthday, Dec. 11, our fabulous friends, Cami and Zach, volunteered to watch Sam so Don and I could go skiing at Copper Mountain. It was scout day, which means a full day ticket only costs $25 if you are affiliated with scouts, so we got two tickets since the youth from church were going that day.

After a 3 1/2 hour drive (crazy traffic and snowy roads), we made it to the resort. The traffic was terrible because everyone knew how much it had snowed the night before, so the whole world decided to go skiing.

And man, what amazing skiing there was to be had! It was by far the best snow I have ever skied in! We had such a great time. There was so much powder, particularly in the back bowls. We were floating up to our waists. I did get stuck once and nearly dislocated my hip trying to dig myself out, but it was well worth it. Wow!

We tried to meet up with the youth in the ward but they were eating lunch when we got there and we just wanted to get out and ski. After that, we couldn't get reach anyone and we never saw anyone we recognized.

We did manage to meet up with one of Don's colleagues from school, Tony, who boarded with us the rest of the day and caught a ride home with us.


This is the only picture I took the whole day. So little time and such great snow!  This is Don and Tony - though Tony looks kind of womanly in this picture because of how his coat is bunched up.

After we picked up Sammy, we went out to dinner with Cami and Zach at our favorite Mexican place in Boulder, Efrains. Don had a great birthday and I was sore for a long time after. I forgot how tiring and wonderful it is to ski in so much powder! Waaaaahoooo!!

1 comment:

The Dixon Family said...

EMILY!!! We were totally there that day! Gah!

It was bitter, bitter cold at the top, wasn't it???