Monday, January 10, 2011

Family Housing Holiday Breakfast

My last Family Housing event of the year went out with a bang and a fire (well, almost).

As soon as the Thanksgiving Dinner was over, I began furiously finishing up the planning for the Holiday Breakfast. I got all the food order and the entertainment in place and the decorations, etc. all ready to go.

The day before the event, my Resident Manager team was helping me move tables and chairs and get the room set up. As we were moving the huge and extremely heavy pool table, one of the legs snapped and the whole thing collapsed into an irreparable ruin.

I had to call my boss and tell her we'd broken the table. Then, I had to tell the people who ran the building (which doesn't belong to family housing) that I'd broken their table. Then, I had to tell the hall director. All of the said people were less than pleased. We'd destroyed a very nice and several thousand dollar pool table. Luckily, it turned out ok and they found another table for the room, so we didn't have to pay for it. Whew!

The whole pool table kerfuffle didn't start the event out very well for me...but it did set the tone for the rest of the drama that ensued.

The next morning, all the fuses blew while we were trying to make the coffee, so we had to call maintenance to fix it, who didn't show up for an hour. We ended up making coffee and heating water up for tea all over the room and trying to keep little kids from scalding themselves throughout the event.

When they grocery store delivered the food, they shorted us 4 doz. donuts, so I spent an hour calling people and fighting with various managers of stores to get my donuts brought over.

Then, when the even started, we began running out of food only an hour in. A lot more people came then had come the previous several years. I had used numbers from historical records to order the food, so we were short very early on. We still had an hour and we had nothing left.

So, my boss bought more donuts, but we still ran out long before the event was over.

Then, we nearly burned the building down because one of the hot plates in the serving line got turned on and burned a granola box to a crisp before we caught it! Ahhh!!!

While all this crazy stuff was happening, though, people were having a great time taking pictures with Santa and dancing while the marimba players jammed. No one really noticed all the drama (except the people who came the last hour and had very little to eat), so overall, it was a success.

It was just darn stressful. I'm glad it is over and that I can laugh about it now. Ha ha! What a crazy time!


People eating and enjoying themselves.


Some great RM girls - L to R - Em, Jana, Gretchen, and Chiyo.


There were a lot of people! Way more than I expected, which was good and bad, but mostly good.


The fabulous Manziva Mana (the four fountains), rocking out. They were so great! The kids loved them and people were dancing around. They even let the kids play the marimbas.


My boss Clancy (and her son, Grant) giving me a sinus irrigator for Christmas to help with my nasty sinus infection. It was just what I needed. :)


People dancing to the music. What fun!

No comments: