Thursday, January 6, 2011

Luke's Wedding!


Don's good friend, Luke, got married on November 20th. Since the Family Housing Thanksgiving Dinner I was in charge of was on the 19th, Don drove out to Utah by himself with Sam (brave, brave soul!) the morning of the 19th while I furiously rushed around making last minute preparations for the dinner. Sam was actually really good for Don on the car ride (he was definitely blessed) and they made it to Heber, Utah for the reception and had a great time while I had my dinner here in Boulder.

Then, at 4:10 am on Saturday the 20th, I caught a ride to the airport with some friends in the ward who happened to be on the same flight as I was. I was going to walk to the bus stop (a little over a mile away) at 4:10 am. When I told my mom this was the plan, she said that there was no way I was going to do that; it was too dangerous. She even wanted me to call the police to escort me since I had no car. When she asked if I had anyone who could drive me, I told her I didn't want to inconvenience anyone like that. She said she would pray that someone would be nice to me and give me a ride. I knew from previous experience how determined my mom was and how when something needed to get done, she would get it done and nothing would stand in her way. I didn't realize she had the same kind of ability with the man upstairs, though. I shouldn't have underestimated her.

When I got to the dinner, I even called the night ride (a free cab who gives rides to drunk students). They were closed for the break.

So, I finally caved and asked my visiting teacher, Staci, for a ride. She said she'd be happy too but told me that the Kitchens were going to the airport in the middle of the night too! I talked to them and they happened to be on the same flight. Amazing! They picked me up and it couldn't have worked out better! Way to go mom!

I flew in, Don left Sam with my parents in Orem and picked me up at the airport, and managed to make it to the temple in time for Luke and Manda's sealing. It was an amazing sealing and then we headed out into the ridiculously cold wind for pictures. It was so windy, you would get blown from off your feet just standing still.

After pictures, we headed over to a church nearby and had some delicious bbq. It was so great to hang out with the Hanzon clan. I stayed at the Hanzon's house in Broomfield for 3 weeks when I first moved to Colorado while Don finished up working in Tucson. That really cemented the feeling of being a part of their family. We've spent many a Bolder Boulder weekend hanging out at their house and I love all of them so much.

This is the best picture of the bride and groom I got after they came out of the temple. It was so windy!


Little Avery, Zane and Nany's little girl. 



Mason, Kirsten and Reagan's little guy. He was just so cute!


Manda looking beautiful despite the cold.


The Hanzon siblings. Such great people.


The entire Hanzon clan with their spouses and kids.


Luke and Manda and the friends.


Amy and Don getting blown away.


Another one to show how crazy windy it really was.


Thais, Luke's mom, getting lunch ready.


Me and Don with Luke, the handsome groom! I am so exhausted here since I'd been up since 3 am. So worth it, though!

Once we were done with all the wedding festivities, we headed down to my house in Orem for Thanksgiving. It was great to be there for Luke and Manda and so nice to be able to stay with my parents for an entire week as a result of having come out for the wedding.


On Dec. 3, we went to Luke and Manda's wedding dinner and reception here in Colorado. It was great being able to spend more time with the Hanzons and eating delicious food! The desserts were unreal! Sam was also unusually social and was running around being really silly and friendly to everyone there. That was a shock, since he'd had his 18 month shots that day and we were worried he would have a hard time. It was a great surprise!

It was a beautiful dinner and reception and we are really excited to get to know Manda, Luke's wife, better. We have a backcountry hut trip planned with them in March that we are really excited about.


Don eating one of many desserts we devoured that night. Red velvet cake, yummm!


Luke's nephew, Mason, had this awesome helmet that is helping to correct a flat spot on his head. I loved this picture of him. 


"I do my own stunts." Cracks me up!

Congrats, Luke and Manda! We are so excited for you!

No comments: