Wednesday, June 15, 2011

CSA, RMs, Sam's Organizational Skills, Watermelon, and Bath Time with Daddy

Don and I joined a local farm by buying a community supported agriculture (CSA) share this year. 


Here we are at our farm tour. We were really excited about it but so far, haven't gotten much in the way of produce (even lettuce, broccoli and other cold weather crops) so we're crossing our fingers it gets enormously better in the coming weeks. 


At the beginning of May, our boss had an appreciation lunch for the Resident Managers at The Kitchen (a super swank and fabulously delicious Boulder restaurant). The food was unreal. I had an asparagus soup and beet quiche and they were scrumptious. If you want food worth your money, I'd recommend this place.

Sam is a very organized little person. He loves puzzles and organizing items by color, size, shape, etc. One day, he took all our shoes and lined them up side by side on the stairs. 

Another day, I was cooking in the kitchen and suddenly it got very quiet in the living room where Sam was playing. Usually this means he's in to trouble (like the time he took my lipstick out of my purse and went to town on his face, clothes, extremities, and the carpet). This time, though, I found this...


He had taken his stacking buckets and spent time filling them with objects by category. The cars got a bucket, the tennis balls got a bucket, the animal bowling pins got buckets...


He was proud of himself and I thought he was so cute, I took a bunch of pictures.



He was clapping for himself here. Since then, he's started saying "ta da!" when he finishes something and throws his hands over his head in celebration. Or, he asks for a high five by saying "ta-da, mommy!" and sticking out his hand.



This picture in the National Geographic of a Mongolian boy in traditional garb playing basketball has fascinated Sammy since he first saw it. For weeks, he would come into the living room and ask for "ba-ball" and would grab the magazine and want me to show him this picture. This kid loves basketball.


Sammy likes to line things up in a row by category. One night when we were watching Adelaide, Sammy started on a stacking frenzy on the windowsill.


I love the PJ kids. 


Sam took all his bowling pins and stacked them like this, one on top of the other, in the blinds. 


Here are the goods Sam was squirreling away behind the blinds. Funny kid.


A little pre-bedtime snack. Sam has boycotted the booster seat and bibs so we don't even keep them out anymore. We only bring them out for other kiddos who come to visit.

Don, Sam, and I went to the World of Wonder (WOW) Children's Museum in Lafayette on a Saturday morning and Sam loved it so much! He particularly loved the wind room where you could make two balls hang suspended in the air above a fan. He was fascinated and the other exhibits were really cool and worth seeing. We need to go again in a couple months because I know he'll be excited more of the exhibits as he gets older.


I love Sam's mouth. I think he was saying "wow!" 

Sam loves our neighbor, Nina. "Nina" was the first name he said after Mama, Daddy, and Jesus (out of the blue, one day, he saw a picture in the front of the Book of Mormon and said "Jesus!" It shocked the socks off me!). Nina and Fynn are some of Sam's favorite Smiley Court buddies and he often goes to our back door and says, "Nina!" He won't ever say her name in front of her, but he loves her all the same.

We had James, Becca, Nina, and Fynn over for dinner one night and Sam and Nina had so much fun eating their watermelon on the stairs.


Like I said, the bib is no longer tolerated. Since Sam is a watermelon/cantaloupe fanatic, his clothes look like this at the end of nearly every night. He's happy though, so I'm happy and I do a lot of mopping/wiping down of Sam, tables, chairs, and the floor. 

These kids have so much fun together. Sam thinks Nina is hilarious and laughs and laughs his awesome belly laugh every time she is around.


Yum!


On Mother's Day, Don made me breakfast, let me take a nice long nap, mopped the floor, and made dinner for me and his parents. He also wrote me a really nice card and bought me a super grippy and extra fancy new yoga mat. I am such a lucky girl!

Sam has not been fond of baths since he was very small. He loves to swim and he likes splashing in water but usually as soon as the tub starts running, he starts screaming. I've figured out recently that even if the water is comfortably warm, he thinks it is too hot and that's why he won't sit down (he stands screaming as I try to quickly scrub and wash him). On one such screaming/standing night, Don got in the tub with him and after a short period of refusing to sit down, he finally relaxed and had so much fun with daddy playing with his bath toys.




Now, I bathe him in a tepid bath and he's usually pretty happy. All this time all he really hated was warm water!  

1 comment:

Christine Lake said...

So I guess that means he won't have Don's hate of cold water.... Such a cute kid!