Monday, October 11, 2010

Camping at Olive Ridge

On August 21st and 22nd, we went camping at Olive Ridge with a bunch of good friends from church, the Ramptons, Skankeys, and Snows. This is the camping trip where Sam and I got our bug bites which later got infected, but other than those two rather uneventful (at the time) run-ins with bugs, it was by far our smoothest camping trip of the season.

We had a great time making tinfoil dinners and peach cobbler on Friday night. On Saturday morning, the Snows headed home and the Ramptons, Snows, and Don, Sam, and I took a little hike around a beautiful lake. Then, the Snows headed home and Emily R. and I went on a nice run.

Don and I went on a little hike with Sam and we had an awesome time hanging out with the Ramptons. We made some delicious stew and tons of dough boys (our favorite campfire dessert).

You make a dough boy by taking a baking powder biscuit, wrapping it around a dough boy stick, and baking it over the fire 'til it's golden.  When it is done, you fill it with pie filling and whip cream or chocolate and peanut butter or butter and cinnamon sugar...the possibilities are endlessly delicious. Mmm! The dough boys sticks we have were a wedding present from the Brunsons, a family Don's family grew up with, and man, we love them! They are our constant companion on our camping adventures.

On Sunday morning, we packed up and headed home. We got ready and still made it to church on time. I love camping! I'm already looking forward to next year!


 Friday night - getting ready for tinfoil dinner building. Those funny looking sticks on the table are the dough boys sticks.


Bryce getting a nice bedtime story.


Happy Adelaide.


Hungry Sam!



 Claine and Necia doing a little tooth brushing. Who knew dental hygiene could look this good!


Emily and Rick applying a little sunscreen. 


The Skankeys packing up the tent. 


Adelaide is the happiest little girl in the world. She and Sam have so much fun together.


Bryce looking good in true little kid camping form (just completely dirty from head to foot).


L to R - Me, Emily R, Necia, and Sarah. 


Hanging out after breakfast


They guys with the babies - L-R, Rick, Claine, and Don. I just thought they all looked so cute carrying the kids around. What good guys they are!



Hiking around the lake. 



Sam and Adelaide having a great time. I don't know why I think it is so funny that Adelaide is wearing a   lei. 


Hanging out around the campfire.



Don and Sam keeping a close eye on the stew. It was by far the best I'd ever made. I was really pleased with how it turned out.

No comments: