Fall is my favorite season. I'm crazy about it. Just thinking about it makes me wax poetic.
Fall
Cool, crisp weather
Bright sun gently slants through golden leaves
Embraced by warmth so fickle
Shade, the chill creeps steadily to the bone
Crunch, crunch of crisp leaves chasing the breeze
Cinnamon smells after a gusty rain shower
Rosy orange pumpkins
Peeking through frosty vines
Birds call, speeding south
Flying Vs dot the deepening blue
Sun sets, rusty glow
Pull my collar higher
I admit it. I'm obsessed with pumpkin patches. I couldn't even wait 'til it was October before I took Sam to his first pumpkin patch of the season with my friends Emily and Amy (who was visiting from Australia). On September 29th, we went to Cottonwood farm and Sam and Adelaide had a blast running through the hay bale maze, looking at pumpkins, riding in the little red wagons, and seeing the animals. What a good time.
I'll also admit that I'm cheap. I never buy pumpkins at pumpkin patches because they are always far cheaper at the grocery store. Yes, I'm one of those terrible people who just goes and enjoys all the free fall fun without buying anything to support the farms I enjoy. That being said, as soon as October was here, I bought a little pumpkin for our doorstep (at the grocery store. Just say it. I'm a cheapskate).
Last year, a squirrel ate our carved pumpkin as soon as I put it outside. I thought that it would leave a whole pumpkin alone, but much to my chagrin, it ate nearly the entire thing within a day and kept dragging it off the porch 'til Don finally just threw it away. Seriously, these squirrels are on crack...
Here are some pictures from Cottonwood Farms:
Amy giving the kiddos a ride.
Sam and Adelaide were having some much fun. They loved the wagon.
Em and Amy. Em studied abroad in Perth, Australia and stayed with Amy's family while she was there.
So much giggling!
The hay bale maze
Sam vigorously doing his best to take all the hay out of the bales.
I loved this little face.
Stacking hay on top of pumpkins made for lots of fun.
These crazy goats climbed on top of this ledge. I don't know how they got there or got down.
Just giving the girls a little support.
Checking out the bunnies.
On October 9th, I once again had the itch to go to the pumpkin patch, so Don and I took Sam to another one. Sam loved running through the fields of orange "balls". He promptly tried to pick up several and throw them, but luckily, they were too heavy and awkward. He really loved seeing the goats and watching airplanes fly overhead. He also enjoyed pulling straw out of the straw bale maze and running around throwing it. He is such a funny boy and believe me, he's all boy, through and through. It's all about throwing kicking, and running around like crazy. He keeps me hopping.
So many pumpkins!
The "wow" face cracks me up.
He heard an airplane overhead and got really excited.
Trying to find a pumpkin to throw. Luckily even this one was too heavy.
Sam liked the horses.
Running around on the grass was such a great time.
Sam's favorite animals were these goats. He loved them. I'm not sure if it was because we saw them first or if he just really likes goats.
Checking out the baby cow.
So busy, busy, happy, happy!
Then, on October 19th, I took Sam to yet another pumpkin patch with the Calvary Bible Church MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group that I go to with my friend Emily. We met up with a bunch of girls from the group at Munson Farms. Sam had so much fun chasing the other kids through the corn maze and once again, trying to pick up and throw the pumpkins.
Having fully realized my skintflintiness and that I was being a terrible person, I went ahead and spent way too much money on locally grown produce. I've been reading this awesome book by Barbara Kingsolver called "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" which has motivated me to try to buy more locally grown foods, much to the distress of my food budget. I need to figure out a better way to go about this localvore business.
There were lots of fun ghosts, witches, and scarecrows scattered throughout the pumpkin patch. Also, the morning was just glorious, so it was so nice to be out in the Colorado sunshine.
A fuzzy friend that really liked Sam. He crawled all over Sam. Once he tried to crawl on his head, I decided it was time for him to find a pumpkin to climb on instead.
Sam and his little buddy James who also lives in Family Housing.
So much fun in the corn maze.
Sam chasing his friends around...
Me and Sammy enjoying the sunshine.
Well, there is my little ode to fall. It is such a gorgeous day here today. I just couldn't help but gush...
I love pumpkins! I love fall! I love Halloween! I love my Sammy pumpkin boy.
Sam - October 9, 2010
Sam, October 24, 2009
When I told Don I wrote a poem for fall, he teased me and made up this diddy on the spot. His poetry skills are astounding:
I like dead leaves, they make me smile
I'm glad fall comes once in awhile






































3 comments:
Both of you are quite the amazing poets!...maybe you a little bit more than Don, though. :) And your bangs ARE "beastly!" haha...that cracks me up. Who'd have thought that would be a compliment? I can't keep up with the "in" things these days! But regardless, you and your bangs look beautiful.
LOVED THESE! That last one is adorable :)
Almost as good as the dairy princess diddy. Don sure has a knack for those.
p.s. I still love your bangs.
Post a Comment