Monday, November 8, 2010

Sammy's Recent Discoveries

Sammy is suddenly starting to do five or six new and exciting things per day. For example, today he said something that resembled "cracker" enough that I actually recognized what he was saying. He also found his nose for the first time at dinner tonight, which involved lots of feeling around his face 'til he finally got ahold of the stubborn little thing. Once he had a grip on it, though, he'd pinch it and pull it. Hilarious.


He is also really into his belly button as of last night when he discovered it for the first time. I was getting him ready for bed and I pointed out his belly and belly button (which I've done dozens of times before) but last night for some reason, it clicked and he got really excited. Then, he wanted to see my belly button and Don's belly button. He now knows where his belly and belly button hide. He kept getting mad today that he had a onesie on and couldn't pull up his shirt to see his belly button. He was thrilled for jama time and kept looking down his belly to try to find his belly button which is pretty difficult to see when you have a pot belly. He kept hunching over and pointing at it. So cute!

He has started saying lots of words which all sound pretty much the same, but I can differentiate. He says "buh bye" and "baba" (bottle). He also said "cah" (car) for the first time yesterday. He said "hey-o" for about a week starting a month ago, but has stopped saying that one completely now. He says "bubble" and "duck" on occasion, too. And of course, he says "ball". That was his first word after "dada" and "mama". That just shows how high balls are on his priority list of loved things.

He also has recently started playing the recorder. Don would pull the recorder out of the toy box and play it and one day, Sammy picked it up and started blowing into it 'til it made sound. A musical prodigy perhaps? Probably not, but it is really cute. He makes this adorable proud face when he plays it which is just irresistible. I took a little video so you could enjoy his cuteness.



I've heard a lot of people say that around 18 months, all the sudden a light turns on and kids start saying and doing so many new things. We're just about there (Nov. 16 is 18 months) and it is so exciting! Being a mom is so wonderful! It is so neat to be a part of watching and helping a little person discover their world. I love Sammy!

2 comments:

The Kynastons said...

You'll have to sign him up for some music classes! :) Macie isn't 18 months yet, but I agree that this age is the BEST! I've had several people tell me that from about 16-24 months is just so fun and so far I totally agree. It's the coolest thing ever to see these babies discover something new every single day.

So I just realized that I still haven't emailed you back. I'm so sorry!! We were out of town and then Macie's been sick so I spaced it. I would have absolutely loved to get together over Thanksgiving, but we will actually be in Idaho that entire week. :( Will you guys be in town for Christmas?? If so, we'd love to see you then!!

Anyway, Sam is so, SO cute and so smart! I wish so bad we lived closer he and Macie could play!

Anonymous said...

He is so adorable. I've said it before, but we're going to have the CUTEST grandkids! Ah, little Sammy. He's growing up so fast!

p.s. it was so fun to talk to you last night!