Monday, November 1, 2010

Beastly Bangs


So, recently a young woman of mine (a girl I work with at church - we call them young women) came up to me on a Sunday after I'd sung in the choir and said, "I saw you singing up there and thought to myself, man, Sister Conkey is a beast!" I laughed and asked her if she was calling me fat or something. Come to find out, "beastly" is the new "phat" or "rad".

Since that time, this girl has taken it upon herself to help me learn all the cool teenager words. She taught me that p'wn (pronounced "pone" - that's how you text it, I guess) means that you are winning (used in a sentence - "I am totally p'wning this game right now". I then asked her if I was a beastly p'wner (poner) and we both looked at each other and laugh. Leave it to me to say something that sounds completely inappropriate in front of my girls.

Recently, my professor of pop culture language moved to Oregon. Despite her distance, she still teaches me new words by proxy. She tells the other girls (who she keeps in contact with) words to teach me. I recently learned that "momos" are what the teenagers call Mormons in Oregon.

Spending so much time with my hip and fashionable girls really opened my eyes to how truly out of fashion I had become. I don't enjoy shopping but when I realized I was still wearing clothes I wore as a Sophomore in high school and hadn't done my hair consistently since Sam was born, I decided it was time to step it up.

I bought my first pair of skinny jeans and my heavens, the girls were proud of me. They all gathered around me and were squealing about how great my jeans were. It was like a chorus of "Sister Conkey bought her first pair of skinny jeans!" echoed around the room and then I was surrounded. "You look so young!", they told me. Funny. I didn't really think I looked "old" but I guess according to teenage standards, I am pretty old and my bootcut jeans were dating me.

Then, I cut bangs. I had wanted to do something like this for a long time but I wasn't sure it would work with my funky backwards growing cowlick in the front of my hair, but I did it anyway. I am really happy with them and the cowlick doesn't make them too crazy.

My girls were thrilled about my bangs. One of them said, "You have never looked better." Another said, "You look soooo much better with bangs." I laughingly asked her if I looked that bad before and she said, "No! No! That's not what I meant. You looked mega before...but now, you look SUPER MEGA!"

So, I guess my bangs are beastly. Is that an appropriate usage of the word? I'll have to ask my professor. I love working with the youth. They always keep me laughing.

7 comments:

Sarah and David said...

Hi Emily! This blog post made me smile and feel old at the same time! I now feel pretty outdated myself, but it's so cool you are having fun with a change in hair and clothes! And it looks great on you! Hope things are going well for you guys.

Naazju said...

Oh, Emily. I love how the next generation takes things and "messes" them up.

Pwn actually started as an online term, based off of the common mistyping of the word "own" as in, to own someone during a game (aka, you're winning). It's often seen with an apostrophe (p'wn) which sometimes leads to a slight hiccup of a pause being thrown in between the 'p' and 'own.'

::Sigh:: Texting has ruined everything.

Take back what your generation started! Teach her a new word every once in a while. ;)

(And, Emily, most of my note is facetious. I just thought it was funny you had to learn the word from someone ten years younger than us!)

Anonymous said...

I love the bangs!!! I haven't graduated to skinny jeans yet, but I guess that's okay because if you're old, I'm old. Yikes!

Beastly? I guess "Epic" is out now eh? :)

Cami P said...

Haha! This post completely cracked me up. I don't feel like we're that out of the loop but I guess we are. I still love bootcut jeans too! hehe I don't get any of that lingo. Good heavens, we are getting old. :)

Melissa said...

I can't even imagine who the YW is now that Denica is gone? Could someone actually fill her place?

Dakin said...

I don't think I'll ever be cool enough to have bangs or wear skinny jeans. Style in England is so different (not that I'm cool here either!). Everyone wears scarves no matter what the temperature it seems. Leggings appear to be a staple as well as ugly uncomfortable boots and long drapey tunics. Maybe those things are becoming popular in the US now too...but they sure aren't popular with me...yet?

Tiffany said...

I updated to bangs and skinny jeans this year, too! It's weird to be such a young mom and still be perceived as old. I just hope I'm not still trying this hard when my kids are old enough to be embarrassed of my efforts. You, however, are so drop dead gorgeous and skinny (even in comparatively baggy bootcut jeans) that you will always be beastly long after being beastly becomes a bad thing. =)