One of the best things about Family Housing is getting to know all the amazing people who live here, particularly those from other countries.
I met Miki and Saroj when I checked them in to their apartment when I was a Resident Manager. They had just gotten married in India and came to Boulder so Saroj could work as a research scientist at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research). Usually when I checked residents in, both they and I would be anxious for me to leave. Miki, on the other hand, prepared me a delicious, traditional Indian breakfast and we talked and got to know each other. Miki and I became good friends and she and Saroj would have us over for dinner and we'd have them over. The food I ate at Miki's house was far better than anything I've had at Indian restaurants and that says something. We've been to a lot of really good Indian restaurants. She taught me how to cook several types of curry and I taught her to make homemade pizza and zucchini bread (not really very exciting compared to the curry but she and Saroj said it was the best American cake they'd had). She also took me to the Indian grocery to make sure I had all of the basic ingredients for Indian cooking and taught me how to use them. Saroj and Miki also had me over for a sacred holiday and let me be a part of their ceremony for the gods. It was really neat. Miki and I shopped together and hung out and she and Saroj loved and spoiled Sammy. They are determined to find Sammy a good Indian woman for a wife. :) If they found her a girl like Miki, he'd be a lucky boy.
Miki and Saroj went back to India to visit their family and for Saroj to interview for jobs. When they came back, Miki brought me a beautiful Sari and some glass bangles, which all married women wear and are good luck charms.
Miki and Saroj moved back to India at the end of September. Saroj got a great job as a professor at one of the best universities in India. I miss them. We had a lot of fun together and I learned so much from them about their culture, religion, and about life and love. Miki and Saroj had an arranged marriage and they are so committed to each other, respect each other so deeply, and really love each other. I feel like they are far better off than a lot of married couples because of the way they approach their relationship and how invested they are in their marriage. They really impressed me.
Here are some pictures of the sari Miki brought me back from India. Putting it on was such a process. I couldn't possibly get it on by myself. Miki told me there are lots of youtube videos that show how to put it on correctly so Don will have to help me get the sari on in the future.
Me and Miki!




No comments:
Post a Comment