Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Trip to the Colorado Railroad Museum

Before I get started about the train museum, I just wanted to share this sweet picture of Sammy and Daddy reading bedtime stories. Sam is wearing his favorite"woof woof" jammies and like he often does, he insisted that Don sit in the chair with to read. His brown and blue polka dotted blanket and Brewster doggy are always required companions and his blanket has to be positioned just so behind his head for diaper changes, jammie time ,tooth brushing ,storytime, prayers, and songs before bed. Don and I are required to also lay on the floor with him for bedtime songs and before we leave him in his crib, he asks for a five, "boom" (fist bump), and "this," which is a pointed index finger which meets our pointed index finger followed by an explosion sound. He then occasionally tells us to "dance" out of the room and downstairs. He requires the door open and light on the bathroom on, which is awkward when we have company over who need to use the bathroom; they can't close the door or he completely freaks out and yells, "Door open! Light on! Light oooon!" until his demands are met. Sorry about that, Cam. :) Once you do open the door, he says "thank you!" very politely and goes back to sleep.

I love Sammy's idiosyncrasies and routines. 2 year olds are so much fun!


We went to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden on Saturday, September 3rd with our wonderful friends and neighbors, Staci and Scott and their two boys, William and Adam. Sam loves trains. His favorite bedtime song is "I've Been Working on the Railroad." Don even found piano music so we can play it for him. So a trip to the train museum was like heaven for little Sammer.






This is my favorite picture of the day. Can you tell how much he loved the "choo-choos"? That is pure joy right there.




In this engine, you could put a quarter in and "drive" the train. The simulator was complete with sound effects so you could speed up and slow down. It was pretty neat. I think Don liked it just as much if not more than Sam. 



Waiting for our ride on the "Galloping Goose" which was an old truck that was converted into a train for steep mountain passes. We took a ride around the museum lot and saw all the train cars. 


This was the most enormous train engine I had ever seen! It made me feel like Alice in Wonderland. I felt like I'd been shrunk when I stood next to it. 




Look at how huge the wheels were compared to William!



Sam loves the caboose. We read a book about trains and he always says "the caboose is last."



The sweet boys having such a great time!




Playing in another old caboose. I love the seafoam green paint.







I love the old Zephyr trains. The art deco style is timeless. 

After the museum, we got some Mexican food with our friends. It was all around a fabulous time.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Yea for a visit to the train museum! Such a fun time- thanks for inviting us :)